Minimum Qualifications: High School Diploma (or GED) required. Must be at least twenty-five (25) years of age. Must pass a DOT physical. In addition to minimum requirement for a CDL, school bus drivers must have at least five (5) consecutive years of unrestricted driving experience prior to the date of application. The Transportation Department must be fully satisfied as to the applicant’s good character, competency, and fitness to be so employed. Must possess a valid state driver’s license.
Job Description Date Reviewed: January 2018
BUS DRIVER (PERMANENT)
Purpose of Job
The purpose of this job is to perform as a school bus driver within Clarksville-Montgomery County School System. Duties and responsibilities include safely transporting children (K-12th Grade) to and from school and other school related activities. Manage and discipline students, maintain a safe and clean bus, monitor vehicle performance and turn vehicles in for repair as needed. Reports to Transportation Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- The following duties are normal for this job. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Performs daily Bus inspection according to state standards routes to ensure that school bus is safe to transport students. Checks all communication equipment to ensure operating properly
- Sweep bus after each AM and PM run as required. Clean headlights, mirrors, and windshield daily. Check seats, windows and interior for damages. Secure bus after each AM and PM run by raising windows, check for sleeping children, draining air tanks, etc.
- Prepares vehicle maintenance report for mechanical problems; turn bus into bus shop or repairs when mechanical problems arise.
- Monitor vehicle mileage and turn into bus shop for 7,500 and 15,000-mile services.
- Safely transport children to and from according to assigned bus route. Monitor students warning lights at all stops for proper working order. Continuously scan all mirrors before loading and unloading students at school and along roadways.
- Continuously scan all engine/equipment gauges to ensure safe operation of vehicle.
- Maintains discipline and safe standards on school bus; instructs children on regulations such as remaining seated at all times, no hanging out of window, etc.; prepares discipline reports as needed.
- Directs and instructs students on proper boarding and unloading procedures.
- Fuel bus; add oil, water, transmission fluid etc. as needed. Prepare maintenance request ticket for repair as needed.
- Periodically update bus stop roster and student information sheet in the Routing Office.
- Attend mandatory State Certification training annually for school bus drivers.
- Must teach/instruct passengers on emergency evacuation plan as outlined in emergency evacuation procedure outline. Must prepare and maintain an up to date seating chart for schools you serve and transportation department. Must prepare and maintain emergency data card on all students assigned to bus in case of an emergency and for student accountability.
- Responsible for turning in all required paperwork (Daily Bus Inspection form, and all documents associated with the bus route) no later than 9:30 AM on the first school day of the week following payday.
- All Paperwork will be turned in to the employee’s Lead Driver.
- Must be able to effectively communicate in a professional manner, without causing a verbal or physical confrontation.
- Must prepare student injury report for on-board injuries. Must prepare statement for insurance company when involved in a motor vehicle accident with your school bus.
- Immediately notify your supervisor if you become insulin dependent or license are revoked or suspended.
- Must have in possession when operating a school bus: Proper license, DOT Certificate, vehicle registration, Daily Bus inspection sheet, and vehicle insurance information.
KNOWLEDGE OF JOB – PERMANENT OR SUB DRIVER
Has general knowledge of the policies, procedures, and activities of the School System and transportation practices as they pertain to the performance of duties relating to the job of Bus Driver. Has general knowledge of Bus Driver practices as necessary in the completion of daily responsibilities. Knows how to develop and administer operations and staff plans and objectives for the expedience and effectiveness of specific duties of the department. Knows how to keep abreast of any changes in policy, methods, equipment needs, etc. as they pertain to departmental operations and activities. Is able to effectively communicate and interact with supervisors, members of the general public and all other groups involved in the activities of the department. Is able to assemble information and make written reports and documents in a concise, clear, and effective manner. Have good organizational, human relations and technical skills. Is able to use independent judgment and work with little direct supervision when necessary. Has the ability to comprehend, interpret, and apply regulations, procedures and related information. Has comprehensive knowledge of the terminology, principles, and methods utilized within the department. Has the mathematical ability to handle required calculations.
Primary Location: CMCSS Operations Complex
Salary Range: $15.80 / Per Hour
Shift Type: Full-Time